PLL Season 6 Finale Thoughts & Why Wren should have been A



The mid-season finale of the hit-show Pretty Little Liars was released on Netflix last Wednesday and I finally got around to watching it this morning. Up until this point I'd had to stay off Twitter and beg my friends not to tell me anything. After six years of mystery, theorizing, predictions and confusion, Big A was revealed to be the one and only Cece Drake. From season two onwards I was convinced that it was Wren and his reoccurence in the plot only confirmed by suspicions. He'd been in scenes with Spencer, Emily and Hanna - a character not big enough to have his own story line but he was often happily lurking on the outskirts of the main drama. 

On a more practical note, as a doctor Wren would have had access to medical supplies, doctors records and most importantly Radley Sanitarium. As the seasons continued, 'Wren is A' YouTube videos popped up everywhere and the level of detail and analysis into the 'Wren' clues is mind-blowing. It shows how his intelligence, money and family background could have led to an evil master-mind. Sorry I. Marlene King but your fans could have written a better finale than you. Not only am I highly disappointed Wren was not A but I personally feel that the Cece route was a poor choice. I cannot comment on how the transgender community reacted to the portrayal of Cece but I don't think it was a great idea to present the topic in this way. The finale reveals a transgender woman who is shunned by her father, trapped in a mental asylum and becomes obsessed with her sister and friends, resulting in violence, manipulation and torture. Pretty Little Liars is quite progressive with its themes - from drug use to homelessness, homosexuality to student-teacher relationships - and I really respect that but I just don't think they did this one right. According to social media, the large majority of fans aren't happy either. 

A few unAnswered questions
  • How was Melissa involved in the whole thing? She seems to have gotten off quite lightly, or maybe they've just forgotten about her
  • Why did Wren write a visitor pass for Cece to visit Mona if she was already checked in there herself? What did he know? (On Twitter he claims he will appear in a future episode!)
  • Why did Sara Harvey get involved in the A game?
  • How did the Liar's mothers get out of the DiLaurentis cellar?
  • Who killed Mrs DiLaurentis?
  • What happened to Bethany at the end?

All in all, I was more shocked with the revelations that Mona was A, that Toby went undercover in the A team, when Ezra was the main A suspect and the episodes in doll house. Cece hadn't even been mentioned in a few seasons so it would have been more thrilling if the villain had been under our noses the whole time. Of course I'll still watch the rest of the series in January but I do feel the hype has died down slightly; the wait won't be as hard this time. The Desperate Housewives style time jump was interesting but it needs a good follow-up episode to earn my forgiveness.  


What did you think of the finale? Do you agree or disagree with my thoughts?



xxx


Post a Comment